"....I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." ~James 10:10~

Sunday, October 28, 2012

{Celebrating MaMa}

Romans 14:8 For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord’s.

Last Friday morning, my special Great Grandmother, MaMa, went to be with Jesus. She also got to be with PaPa again...a day I'm sure he's been eagerly anticipating. I'm sure he couldn't wait for her to see how wonderful a place the Lord had prepared for her after she enjoyed a long and healthy 97 years here on earth.

I remember many special things about MaMa....

She ALWAYS had candy bars. She loved chocolate more than anyone I've ever known. She loved to give us Milky Way's and Three Muskateer bars when we visited. And we loved eating them!

She had a beautiful display of pictures in her home. A whole shelf that was FULL of framed family photos. I always loved looking at all of them and wondering what life was like for her and PaPa throughout all of those years and memories.

She loved beauty products. From a young age, I loved going into her bathroom and looking through all her body powders, lipsticks, and perfumes. Sometimes she would share her Clinique free gifts with us and we felt so fancy:) Perhaps that's where my obsession began...:)

She would not let her pocketbook leave her side no matter what. At family functions, if she lost sight of it, she would ask where it was and insist that someone bring it to her. She was buried with a purse in hand...they only way she would have wanted it. We loved hearing her hollar for that purse :)

She gave us all of her spare change. As I grew older, the change started going to the younger children and they enjoyed it like we had for all those years. I would always wonder if MaMa had a bag of change when she came to visit :)

I am so thankful to have these happy memories to help me remember my MaMa. I feel so blessed to have had a Great Grandmother for 29 years. I can't wait to tell my own children stories of MaMa and PaPa one day. 

Today was MaMa's funeral. Throughout the day I was reminded of the blessings of family. MaMa  lived an incredibly blessed life and thanks to her and PaPa, I also got the best papa (grandfather) in the whole world, too! Each generation is such a blessing to the next and each carries on the legacy of memories of those who have gone before them. I think it's so awesome how God designed families to work in such a special way:)

As I said goodbye to MaMa, it was with a full heart and much gratitude. I looked around at all the people I loved who were gathered around her and thanked the Lord for the blessings her life brought us all. 

MaMa is surely alive with the Lord. I can't wait to see her again one day!

Love,
Laura

No comments: