"....I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." ~James 10:10~

Monday, September 10, 2012

{From HAIR to There}

Good Golly!!!---I've got so much on my mind today. And lots on my TO-DO list, too:) But first, I think it'll do me good to put some of my thoughts down and leave them here. They are starting to bog me down....

Let's start with the HAIR---

So....About a month ago, during a very impulsive mood, I decided to drastically change my hair color. Since I'd almost ALWAYS had blonde (or really light colored) hair and I knew it would be a big change and a shock to most people but I assumed they'd get over it and.forget about it and I could go on about life as normal. But that didn't happen. Not at all.

In fact, I feel like every time I turn around (even a month and a half later) someone has another (unsolicted:) comment or opinion on my hair and it's just getting old :( Many people have said "It's just not YOU" and I think to myself "ummmm, yeah, it's still me last time I checked. My hairstyle or hair color does not change who I am. Is my old blonde hair really what you most closely identified me with? Please! " Oh and for the record God didn't give me that blonde hair, my beautician did.(and she's darn good at it) Let's get that out in the open:) So in actuality, I'm more the "real" me now as I've ever been. Also for the record, I still love blonde hair:)

And then I've heard "You just lit up the room when you walked in with that blonde hair" and then, after wanting to throw up all over them, I think to myself "ok, so now you're basically telling me I no longer "shine" and blend into the curtains." Geez, that's a sweet thing to say to someone...ick:/

The thing I hate the most is that I actually really liked my new hair--UNTIL I let everyone else's opinions make me feel like I'd made some kind of major life mistake. Honestly, the pressure people put on me was as if I'd decided to cut my leg off or something. I don't know if anyone has experienced this exact situation but I bet you can relate. Sometimes people just react so negatively to change of any kind. It makes them uncomfortable. Sometimes people just have their preferences (and should keep their opinions to themselves---especially after they've been voice more than enough) and that's fine. But what's not ok is what I did. Letting those people affect the way I felt about myself and allowing my hair to carry such a heavy load in determining my self-esteem. This post is a reminder to myself: I am WAY more than my hair, I am WAY more concerned with things more important than hair, and I am WAY better off when I choose to base my beauty and value on the things that are unseen. Those things last. Those things are worth worrying about :) And I'm back to loving my new darker 'do....for now. I can't promise what I might do next month...hehe!

So...."Whooooo" wants to move onto a lighter subject?  :)
I finished this wreath for my office  tonight:)
Total cost of supplies: $6.50
Total time invested: 10 minutes (mostly hot gluing on the leaves around the wreath)

Now let's talk YUMMY!
 Pumpkin Spice Hershey Kisses!!!

One more thing I'd suggest that you scrape together all your spare change and buy for yourself ASAP----(dig under the couch cushions or car seats if you have to!)
It will not disappoint! :) It's the perfect combo of sweet, fall, pumpkin, crisp, warm goodness....hard to put such a wonderful smell into words. Just trust me!

After a long day of work and 4 hours in class---I'm pooped! My bed and candle are calling my name:)

Love,
Laura 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura! Love your blog...and for the record, love your hair! To me, you could be bald and your beauty would still radiate to others because of your inner beauty. (and I barely even know you but it was ultra apparent to me when I met you). I think it is awesome that you are brave enough to make a drastic change to your appearance like that...shows that you have confidence in yourself . I know what you mean though about people giving you a hard time...I used to change my color all the time for fun and people always liked my hair lighter..but I liked it darker and lighter and red and / or with highlights etc etc...change is fun! Just keep doing what you have been doing. Dark or light hair, you are awesome, no doubt! :)


Selena