"....I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." ~James 10:10~

Sunday, July 12, 2009

19 hours later... and WE ARE HOME!!!

Question???
What do you get when you leave Myrtle Beach at 10:30 am, stop in Florence to eat at Cracker Barrel, encounter a trucker who informs you that you have a leaky radiator, buy eight gallon jugs of water at the local Food Lion to help counteract your leaky radiator (advice from the trucker), stop 10 times to help/watch your oh-so-patient husband pour those eight gallons of water into your smoking radiator, refill those jugs (hopefully if the convenience store clerk is kind enough or you can find a random hose somewhere), pour another few gallons into the still slightly smoky (ok very smoky) radiator, finally get it cooled down at each stop enough to go another oh---five miles or so, break down on 385 at 2 am and watch transfer trucks speed by and nearly blow you off the road, finally get going again and stop 13 more times at about every single exit on 85 and a few parking lots to do that same cool down the smoky radiator routine (which was-again-about every five miles), and then finally, at 5:15 am...Praise the Lord!!!-Pull your smoking motor home into your driveway....


Well...If you can't guess...let me tell you...

You get our trip home from the beach!!!!

Whewww...it's exhausting just to rethink it....

But it brings a smile to my face thinking of what an adventure it was although I wasn't able to smile toooo much until we actually made it home, I got in bed, and the reality that we actually did make it home finally sunk in. By now you should be starting to realize that I really did not think we would ever see Poplar Lane in that motor home again! It kinda started to feel like a bad dream and I had to pinch myself to make sure we really made it!

Several of the gas stations along our 19 hour trip home were quite "ghetto" and I have never seen so many people buying Newport cigarettes and beer in my entire life, which I found quite sad by the way and quite scary at times since many of these "customers" had on belly length gold chains and sunglasses although it was well past 2 am....hmmm....you can imagine...

I was very impressed at how calm and patient Travis remained throughout the night and I'm pretty sure he saw it as a personal challenge to pull that big smoking hunk of metal into our driveway no matter what...despite my occasional suggestions to take the tag off, grab my suitcase and makeup bag, and run that thing into a pond somewhere!

So...I just wanted to share our trip home and I'll follow up soon with the better memories of our Vacation...one's that don't involve scary gangster encounters or corroded motor parts!

Yea for God's invisible tow truck...otherwise, I can assure you, we would have never made it home!!!


1 comment:

kathryn said...

What a story...but glad you made it home safely! I always tell Stan at times like this that we're making memories, honey. :)