"....I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." ~James 10:10~

Monday, May 17, 2010

{YIKES! Did I just eat chemicals for dinner?}

I discovered some pretty scary things while reading my “Best You” Magazine this weekend.


The first article I read was called “TOXIC TRUTHS” By Claudia Cornwall. Here’s what I learned (and wish I’d learned way sooner!)


1. NEVER eat food that has come in contact with Styrofoam. I do this quite often with leftovers, ect. but after reading this article I won’t anymore! Styrofoam (Polystyrene) may leach a harmful chemical, Styrene, into the food it touches as well as into landfills and groundwater once it’s trashed. Styrene can possibly cause endocrine disruption and is a human carcinogen. Styrofoam is always labeled #6 in the recycling symbol.

2. Plastics can be SUPER DANGEROUS! In fact, the only plastics that are relatively safe to use are those labeled #1, 2, 4, and 5. You’ll find the number in the recycling symbol on the product. The worst plastics are those labeled #3 and 7.

#3 plastics: This is often found in backyard furniture, shower curtains, and plastic toys. They contain Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) which often contains Phylates. Phylates can damage the liver, kidneys, and reproductive systems of animals. This chemical mimics hormones and may interfere with children’s growth and development, especially if infants suck or chew on vinyl products.

#7 plastics: These contain Polycarbonate, which may contain Bisphenol A, which is suspected to be a hormone disrupter and can possibly stimulate prostate cancer cells. And even scarier, most plastic baby bottles are made of this! SCARY!

You should also avoid putting plastics in the microwave or dishwasher. GUILTY AS CHARGED!
I need to go through my mountain of plastic cups and weed out all the BAD ones. And I cook food on plastic plates in the microwave all the time so I need to check those, too.

I also read a study, done by nine doctors who specialize in anti-aging, and they compiled the results in an article called “Habits and your Health”.

I was shocked to see that drinking a lot of soda is the #1 most harmful eating habit! OH NO…SOOOOO GUILTY AS CHARGED! I know I need to do better but I just LOVE MY DIET COKES! I’m gonna try to do better…

So... let’s all rid our cabinets of our #3 and #7 plastics, avoid Styrofoam carryouts, and…GULP…drink less soda!

Cheers to a healthier future!

Love,
Laura

1 comment:

Dee said...

whew! I'm in trouble! lol